POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Direct links to other's resources : Re: Direct links to other's resources Server Time
10 Aug 2024 03:26:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Direct links to other's resources
From: October
Date: 14 May 2000 00:46:03
Message: <391e2f8b@news.povray.org>
Ken,

A link is a link is a link!  A simple html tag redirecting your browser to
another URL does NOT consume bandwidth, even if the URL ends in .zip!  What
does consume bandwidth is the actual transfer of data from your site, when
someone actually downloads your file for instance.  If a file is available
on a website for public consumption in the first place, links on other sites
will possibly contribute to an increase in downloads through increased
publicity, but do not consume your bandwidth by simply existing.

I'm starting to feel like Capt'n Oct, King of the Bandwidth Pirates or
something ;)

My collection of links serves the povray community by providing fast access
to both the respective files AND the source html.  For the respective
authors of such software, this is a GOOD thing, as it may increase awareness
of their work in the povray community.  Publicity, feedback, compliments...
all of this comes to those who write good code and make it publicly
available, but only if people know where to find it!

For the prospective povray user, my site simply provides the very best
collection of links to "quality" includes and macros publicly available on
the web.  I dare say that there may be no other single site in existance
that is capable of providing such concise information so quickly.   I know
it took me over a month to find the links that I have there.  Most pov'ers
know the frustration of trying to find a rumored include or macro, only to
wade through screen fulls of dead-end links and unrelated web "fluff".   I
am simply trying to alleviate some of this.

Yes, handcrafted webpages can be a thing of pride and there are reasons for
wanting people to see them.  My links are not designed to be a showcase for
pretty websites... it is designed to supply answers fast.

As for "common courtesty to let people know that you are using their
resources in this manner", I couldn't agree more.  In fact, several of the
authors whose work I have links to have consented, either non-specifically
(in a readme) or via email.  To assure that all of them (over 120) recieved
this same consideration was simply beyond my abilities at the time.  I have
retracted my links to Rune's specific website/resources and have publicly
offered to do the same for any others that might share his concerns.

For you, Rune, and anyone else who might be interested:

I am soon going to be updating my website including verification of links.
It is my goal to only provide the best links and resources available to the
povray community.   I will be personally emailing all authors of any files I
wish to include in my links to ask for permission.  This permission will be
asked to both post the link as well as to publicly archive the files in MY
server, so as to put concerns of bandwidth to rest... I will "foot the bill"
for any that wish to have their work archived.

If you have written includes or macros for povray and would wish to publicly
share them with the rest of the community through my website, please feel
free to email me with the specific details.

If you know that I already have your contribution on my links pages, please
email a quick note either granting permission to continue my service or
requesting that I withdraw your link.   Regardless, you should be recieving
an email from me soon anyway.

Thanks in advance for all your help and understanding,

October
Team MBS Graphics Group
http://www.crosswinds.net/~teammbs